Total Pageviews

Sunday 2 April 2017

Going Dutch

Four days away with three friends visiting three destinations in Holland. The trip was organised for we art lovers who also, it turns out, appreciate floral arrangements and enjoy food. I was the lone vegetarian and was anxious to try Dutch food.

My main courses consisted of a satisfying omelette brunch, a Greek version of Melanzane parmigiana and Italian pasta and pizza. Not very Dutch I agree. However, in one typically Dutch restaurant I enjoyed an appetiser of cheese with mustard, a main course of vegetables with croquettes and a dessert of apple tart which were all delicious. For snacks we had Patatje oorlog which are potato fries with a mayonnaise based dip. 



It would seem the Dutch are fond of all things sweet and the hotels and restaurants were generous with their cakes and sweetie bowls.

Breakfast in one hotel brought back childhood memories. In 1970 our family stayed with friends in Holland. Bear in mind this was in the days before Nutella had hit our shores and chocolate for breakfast seemed outrageous. My eight year old eyes had popped out on stalks to witness Hans, Annette and Diane sprinkling their morning bread with Hagelslag (chocolate sprinkles). Naturally my sister and I had joined in, luxuriating in the decadence of such a sweet treat at breakfast. Trying it again in 2017 was almost as much fun.

We also ate Stroopwafel which is a thin waffle filled with a sweet, sticky syrup. These are available back in the UK and my son has taught me to balance one on top of my steaming cup of tea until it's soft and pliable. Just watch out it doesn't fall in though!


No comments:

Post a Comment