Total Pageviews

Sunday 6 November 2016

Pie Eater? Pumpkin Pie Cheater!

This week has incorporated Halloween, Mischievous and Bonfire Nights with pumpkins, baked potatoes and toffee apples being the fare of choice.

I love pumpkin soup, roasted pumpkin (served with a salty cheese, herbs and nuts) and last year made a pumpkin pie. 

I cheated a little with the pumpkin pie by using a shop bought sweet pastry case but did make the filling by steaming and blending the pumpkin flesh before adding evaporated milk, sugar, nutmeg and eggs. This was poured in to the case, baked, cooled and sprinkled with icing sugar. It was a little like an egg custard and quite delicious. 

My children are now grown up and for the first time in many years I did not carve a pumpkin and trim the porch with skulls, bats, cauldrons and cats. Needless to say, we had no trick or treaters! I did miss sporting my pumpkin deely boppers and handing out sweets to little monsters and I have missed the pumpkin flesh. However, I do have a plan ...

A bought sweet pastry case
A bought pumpkin pie filling
Mix in the evaporated milk, sugar, spices and eggs
Bake
Cool and sprinkle with icing sugar
Eat!



No comments:

Post a Comment