Total Pageviews

Sunday 27 November 2016

Hamming it up!

What is it about ham that makes Joe Public think it's acceptable to feed vegetarians? Of all the meat/fish I've been inadvertently given, ham has been the most common.

I've been asked to:
"pick ham off pizza"
"scoop ham out of soup"
"quit eating ham quiche" (after I'd ordered the veggie one)
"not be touchy if ham touches my food"

The latest incident was whilst eating out at a fabulous tapas restaurant called Riccis. Two of us chose vegetarian plates which included a cheeseboard and began tucking in. On closer inspection I noticed a slice of Parma ham hiding under the red grapes. Shocked, we complained and the waiter, also rather shocked, offered to replace it. As he whisked it away one of our meat eating friends confessed to placing her piece on the cheeseboard as she didn't want it. She was mortified when she realised what she'd done!

In my local town there is a cafe-bar called "Friends of Ham" serving craft beers and cured meats and cheeses. It has a great vibe and I enjoy bobbing in for a drink but feel like going undercover as I don't want people to think I'm a friend of ham!

I would like to be a friend of pigs though!



I'm thinking there should be a veggie cafe-bar across the road. Chums of Cheese? Amigos of Manchego? Lovers of Lentils?  

No comments:

Post a Comment