Total Pageviews

Sunday 25 October 2015

Size Matters!

As we bid farewell to summer and enjoy the extra hour in bed it's time to ditch salads, picnics and Pimms in favour of warming hearty food and drinks. That said, we should not be tempted to hide our bulging waistlines under chunky jumpers but continue to eat sensibly so that the odd Hot Chocolate with extra whipped cream, marshmallows and sprinkles is a treat rather than a regular occurance.

Yesterday I ate at Jamie's Italian where the "sugar tax" has been running since June this year. This is Jamie's latest campaign in the fight against obesity (particularly aimed at children and teenagers) where a 10p surcharge is added to the price of sugary drinks. He has begun on home ground with his own restaurants but is wanting the Government to implement it on a nationwide scale. Bravo Jamie I say.

If I were in power I would change things back to the way they were when I was growing up. I believe it's all about portion size! Whilst generally I love all things American, it seems we have taken on some of their bad habits.

Since when did we ditch our buns for muffins? Our biscuits for cookies?

Not only is the food larger, but the glassware and crockery seems to have grown too. I have been married for just over 30 years and still have some of our original items. The photos below tell their own story. Thirty years ago my wine glass was (well,) tiny. I drank tea from a cup and saucer rather than a mug. My dinner plate seemed full with a decent size portion but now I eat from a larger plate with more room for more food! My dessert/soup/cereal bowl was about half the size it is now. All this space gets filled with more food and more drink so therefore I am consuming more. 


So come on Jamie, let's you and I bring out our own range of small, delicate crockery and make the world a better place! 

No comments:

Post a Comment