Total Pageviews

Sunday 11 October 2015

Share and share alike!

By all accounts, this is the year of the apple. No, not in a Chinese New Year kind of way but by the fact that the apple harvest has been a bumper one of unblemished and plentiful apples. This is good news ... remember believing "an apple a day keeps the doctor away"? Not only are they one of our five-a-day but there are numerous ways of cooking apples as well as crunching them au naturale! Another bonus is that there will be lashings of amber liquid for a cider drinker like myself!

When I was growing up we had a James Greaves apple tree at the bottom of the garden and every year the family would go outside on a dry, sunny autumnal Sunday to ceremoniously pick the fruits which would then be individually wrapped in newspaper and placed in the loft to store through the winter months. A friend has recently revealed that during her school days she would refer to the 3 apple trees in their garden as the orchard. I can't say I blame her. When you're young everything seems bigger and the very word orchard conjures up heavily laden branches bowing down and trailing its fruits onto the wild flower meadow at its feet.

In our family everything was shared whether it was a packet of sweets, a bun or indeed an apple. My parents had learned of a fair method of doing this from friends. The rule was "you cut, I'll choose" and so my sister and I learnt to cut precise halves from a very early age. For my last birthday she sent me this card as a reminder (and possibly a way of showing one-up-manship to her little sister!)



Another friend's mum would hold pudding bowls aloft and tell her daughters to choose which hand without the advantage of seeing what and how much was in them. My own children were often told to share nicely whether it was food or toys. Funnily enough whilst googling apples and sharing whilst writing this blog I have come full circle. apple.com say "everything's better when shared, and sharing has never been easier" whilst persuading us to take up Family Sharing on our devices. It's a very clever way of marketing their products by honing in on our values and, they do have a point. Everything is better when shared!

No comments:

Post a Comment