Total Pageviews

Sunday 3 March 2019

Life of Py(rex)

Tonight I was browning off my macaroni cheese in the oven when disaster struck. My trusty Pyrex dish slid from my oven-gloved hands and shattered into a hundred pieces, spewing mac'n'cheese across the kitchen floor. Double trouble. Firstly, I was without tea. Secondly, I will miss my Pyrex dish.

This type of cooking glassware began life over a hundred years ago. Borosilicate glass was invented by Otto Schott, a German chemist and glass technologist but was developed by an American company; Corning Glass Works. 

It was found to cook things evenly, was transparent and therefore the cooking process could be watched, easy to clean and cooking times were short. After years of producing clear gas, Corning started making it in opaque, coloured and patterned items. As well as being used for baking, from mixing and measuring to actually cooking food, it was also found to be microwave, freezer and dishwasher proof.

The Pyrex brand has gone on to make cooking and baking tins as well as pans. So this Shrove Tuesday you can use a Pyrex jug to measure out your milk, beat it in your Pyrex mixing bowl and cook it in your Pyrex frying pan to make perfect pancakes. Happy Pancake Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment