Total Pageviews

Friday 8 April 2016

Cleanliness is next to Godliness!

The Food Standards Agency launched the Food Hygiene Rating Scheme 5 years ago. This is a green and black sign which is displayed in the windows of food businesses for all to see and rates their hygiene on a scale of 1 - 5; 1 needing improvement and 5 being the top rating. This is useful when going into any eatery.

Not that I'm paranoid ... Or am I? I've just boarded the homeward train at Kings Cross and the first thing I did was to get the hand gel out as if to wash the smog of the Big Smoke off my hands! A few years ago I might have used a baby wipe but what happened in the years prior to babies? A quick visit to the washroom presumably.

When our children were tiny a friend of mine used to spoonfeed her son whilst wearing rubber gloves! She couldn't bear the mess. He then grew up wanting his hands washing and wiping regularly. No bad thing - I could never bear grubby boy fingers! When asked to bake for primary school fairs I would provide my famous flapjack but then buy it back as you never knew who'd made what! I have observed, first hand, children dipping their hands into school cookery. They are made to wash their hands initially but the temptation to pick and scratch ears, noses and butts proves too much for some children.

When I was young my grandma used to let me make concoctions which were basically any store cupboard basics mixed together in her old sugar bowl. In would go the Ready brek, sugar, flour, drinking chocolate ...whatever! I would pretend to cook it before offering it to poor old grandad! The other food memory of my grandparents is regularly going for Sunday tea and always eating tinned strawberries with Carnation cream. These would be stirred together and declared pink whilst grandma sagely nodded her head and wondered if I could stir them back to their original red and cream.

She really was a wise old owl. Her motto was "a little speck of dirt never hurt anyone." I'd like to think she was right but, just in case, I'll keep the hand gel handy!

No comments:

Post a Comment