Total Pageviews

Sunday 17 April 2016

... 5 potatoes, 6 potatoes, 7 potatoes, More!

On April afternoons the birds are telling their own little story through song and there is promise in the air. It always reminds me of a period when I would finish middle school and sit in my mother's lean-to greenhouse planning things to grow. I liked the earthy fragrance but kept away once she grew tomatoes and geraniums as I didn't like the smell.

Since having a garden of my own I have always had, at the very least, a well stocked herb garden and sometimes pots of tomatoes, strawberries and chillis on the go. A few years ago I developed a proper garden and grew potatoes, onions, beans, garlic, courgettes, beetroot, radishes and salad leaves. That garden is now buried under a lovely patio but I have missed tripping out into the garden and snipping or digging up bits for tea.

Suburban gardening really took off during the war when needs must and even in the 1950s when there was still rationing. In the 1960s people had more leisure time and gardening became a hobby. Greenhouses were a popular addition to the garden and therefore more tomatoes were home grown. In the 1970s the repertoire included hot peppers which were essential for the food of the moment; chilli con carne! During the 1980s this became courgettes for ratatouille and in the nineties butternut squash. More recently rocket and spinach have been popular to grow for spicy salads and the cute baby veg is up there too.

This year I have decided to claim back a little piece of land and for the first year will grow potatoes as this helps to improve the soil. They are currently standing to attention in old egg boxes whilst they sprout (known as chitting) and soon I shall be able to plant them out, water and earth-up regularly before harvesting in the summer. When cooked they will be delicious with melted butter and chopped mint. Not counted as one of my five-a-day but a nutritious and tasty accompaniment.

No comments:

Post a Comment