Total Pageviews

Sunday 6 March 2016

Fair and square!

Martin Luther King Jr famously said "Before you finish eating breakfast in the morning, you've depended on more than half of the world." 

Fairtrade tell us, shockingly, that there are times of the year when many people who grow the food we eat for breakfast can't feed their own families.

We are currently in the middle of Fairtrade Fortnight and the message this year is to support farmers worldwide with their "Sit down for breakfast, stand up for farmers" strapline. This could be as easy as buying and using Fairtrade coffee, tea, cocoa and bananas, surely something we could all do. Personally I'm going to take part this year and, hopefully, not just for a fortnight. I regularly buy Fairtrade bananas but haven't taken much notice of whether other products carry the logo or not. I do recall that last year even the banana sales were down in some supermarkets.

The Fairtrade Foundation is a movement for change, ensuring that farmers and workers in developing countries get fairer trading conditions and producers have opportunities to invest in businesses and communities for a sustainable future. It is a registered charity and has been active for over 20 years. 

I have just had a quick rummage through my cupboards looking for the Fairtrade logo on my produce. Sadly it wasn't on many of my products 'though I did find it on this ...


... My Cadburys Dairy Milk ... Fair AND Square!                                                                

No comments:

Post a Comment