Total Pageviews

Saturday 23 January 2016

Telling Porkies!

Yesterday I met the daughter of a friend on the train. She is at University studying food technology and was very excited about a forthcoming interview for an internship with a company who predominantly produce baking ingredients.

A few years ago I participated in several market research sessions, one of which was for that same company. The research concentrated on their packaging rather than their product but was, nevertheless, interesting. I have also discussed sofas, mobile phones, crisps and snacks (accompanied by free samples) and ... PORK! 

'Charlatan!" I hear you cry. Well, yes, the pay offered was certainly an incentive and no, I did not disclose the fact that I was a vegetarian (nor was I asked) but, thankfully, they were not offering free samples! In actual fact the survey questioned the provenance of meat and how the labelling of pork can influence our decision to buy.

For example, Red Tractor is a farm and quality food assurance scheme launched by the food industry to promote clearer labelling and ensure food originates from a trustworthy source. As this covers dairy, cereals, fruit and vegetables (as well as meat) I felt I could answer the questions by substituting the word "pork" in my head with "vegetarian foods". Anyway, that was my reasoning and I'm sticking by it!

I do believe that all food products should have clear labelling and, being vegetarian, it certainly helps.
Below are some of the labels we have come to trust.


So, now you know the extent of my deceit. However, I am not alone. Whilst chatting to other market research participants, I discovered a non-smoker who did one on cigarettes and a man who had to pretend he ate several bars of chocolate a day! If only could have been on that session ...

No comments:

Post a Comment