Total Pageviews

Sunday 10 January 2016

A Box of Delights!

On a very wet Tuesday lunchtime in mid December my octogenarian parents treated my sister and I to lunch at the Box Tree restaurant in Ilkley, Yorkshire. The Box Tree was originally established in 1962 (as was I!) and is the Michelin star restaurant where Marco Pierre White started out. The Michelin star rating has had its ups and downs but appears stable now in the hands of Simon Gueller. From the outside it still looks like a chocolate box cottage and the inside is a warren of rooms with an old fashioned feel. The ambience is formal, 'though not grand.

Having downed my umbrella at the door I stepped into the old fashioned warmth of the lounge area and was relieved of my coat by the attentive maitre d before joining my family. We enjoyed pre-drinks and nibbles whilst choosing from the menu and ordering. The French menu is fairly extensive although my decision was hastened by the arrival of the vegetarian menu:-

Starter

Oranges, fennel, asparagus and coriander

Main Course (as pictured below)

Printaniere vegetables
Carrot and anise
Salt baked roots

Dessert

Cherry cheesecake basically - I forget the description!

This was all very delicious, though fairly minimal portion-wise! Therefore it was a treat to return to the antique filled lounge and enjoy coffees and teas with chocolates served with tweezers (and great aplomb) from a wooden box on legs - bizarre but delicious. The service throughout had been formal yet friendly with lengthy descriptions of food and attentive advice on wine.

Whilst the vegetarian menu was delicious, I think meat and fish eaters would probably appreciate it more. This is a restaurant to visit for a special occasion, for a foodie or for a person with a large wallet!

No comments:

Post a Comment