Total Pageviews

Sunday 17 May 2015

Pasta Zucchini!

Exactly four weeks ago I was in Capri with husband and friends having taken the hydrofoil from Sorrento. We were like the Famous Five (without the dog) and, rather than take the funicular up to town, we climbed the endless slopes and steps, pausing to look back at the bay we had left behind. After a quick coffee we charged back down to the harbour to meet our boatman at the allotted time. We then experienced a wonderful two hour boat trip around the island courtesy of our wonderful guide, Salvatore.

Back on dry land and in need of sustenance we went to the nearest restaurant (L'approdo) overlooking the small harbour and sat down to a glass or three of rose. Whilst the guys went for fish and meat dishes, we girls opted for a delicious courgette pasta which was one of their specialities. We were hungry after the boat trip and fresh sea air and were definitely seduced by the island with its colourful boats bobbing in the deep blue sea and the overhead cries of the gulls. The food was heavenly much, I suspect, like the rest of Capri.

Back home I have since tried to recreate that wonderful pasta dish. I had a courgette, some pasta and a block of parmesan. With the aid of a clip from Nigellisima I succeeded in making a delicious courgette pasta (almost) as good as my Capri experience.

Cook casarecce pasta according to instructions (used by Nigella, L'approdo and myself but any pasta shape would do) 
A large courgette peeled in stripes then diced
A couple of spring onions sliced (or finely chopped onion/leek)
Cook in garlic oil until soft and squidgy
Splash of vermouth (I used dry white wine)
Chopped parsley (I didn't have this)
Put the lid on the pan and cook gently.
Add a little grated parmesan (enough to add a bit of goo and a lot of flavouring)
Melt in a knob of butter
Add the drained pasta, stir and serve
The Nigella recipe states chilli flakes but I didn't see her add them nor did I detect any in Capri.

And there you have it (although Nigella eats hers out of the pan); a little bit of Capri in a bowl.



No comments:

Post a Comment