Total Pageviews

Sunday 31 May 2015

Easy-peasy-pizza!

I can't believe that National Vegetarian Week has passed me by. It was 18-24th May and, had I known, I might have forced the family to unite and support me in my quest to make just one meal for tea! Ha! I think I have already mentioned a very useful book I was given when I first became vegetarian and needed to cook myself a meal alongside the meat dishes for my family. It's called "No meat for me please!" by Jan Arkless and was, quite literally, my bible!

Actually the family do sometimes eat vegetarian food, particularly pasta dishes. The meal I have made since the children were little is Naan Bread Pizza originally taken from a Nigella recipe and, like all pizzas, can be adapted to suit the recipient's taste. Here is my basic recipe:-

Naan bread (plain or the garlic and coriander ones/small ones are good for parties)
Pasta sauce (I use Seeds of Change organic tomato and basil)
Grated cheese (I like cheddar but mozarella would work too)

That's it really. You spread the sauce on the naan with a sprinkling of cheese on top and bake in a moderate-hot oven for 10-15 mins.

The wow factor will depend on what you put on it before it goes in the oven and the possibilities are endless for vegetarians and meat eaters alike. They can be sophisticated or childish but, most importantly, tasty!

Here are two of my favourites; one with caramelised onion and basil, the other a face of caramelised onion hair and roasted pepper eyes, nose and tongue. Go on and give it a go! 


Well, I may have let National Vegetarian Week pass me by but I have made sure that National Gin Day is highlighted, ringed and starred on my calendar - roll on Saturday June 13th!

No comments:

Post a Comment