Total Pageviews

Sunday 1 March 2020

Do or Diet

Just attended a workshop concerning ketogenics, detoxing and fasting. Having had my all-inclusive (read greedy) holiday in January, I decided it might be time to do a bit of cleansing and shedding.

The talk was very informative, if a little scientific. A lot of it went over my head. What I did learn was that it was quite a difficult process when you're vegetarian. The ketogenics diet is high fat, medium protein and low carbohydrate. Being a non meat or fish eater, most of my protein intake has to come from eggs although some cheese and nuts could be eaten. I can't eat potatoes, rice, pasta, beans and pulses, currently a large part of my diet. Even vegetables were limited with no kale or spinach allowed. Fat could come in the form of avocado and cooking with coconut oil 'though I find this sometimes has an aftertaste. Ah, tricky.

Detoxing involved making sure I took in extra salt and used activated charcoal to bind various chemicals and filter them out of my system as waste. I questioned what happens to the medication I take on a daily basis. Is that filtered out of my system too? Ah, maybe.

Having mentally ruled out ketogenics and detoxing I thought maybe occasional fasting might do the trick. Slightly worried about my tendency towards migraines when I don't eat regularly, I asked if there were any tricks to prevent this. Ah no, don't fast if you suffer migraines because it messes with your blood sugar levels.

It all sounded quite complicated. I think without understanding a lot more and getting a nutritionist to give me a personal plan to follow, I'll give it a miss. I'm not overweight and actually probably just need to eat a little more healthily and do a bit more exercise. Everything in moderation.

Ah well, looks like I'll have to do it the hard way. Today I went for my first run of the year. Honestly it was more like a shuffle but it's a start. The diet starts tomorrow (or maybe the next day ...)

No comments:

Post a Comment