Total Pageviews

Sunday 15 September 2019

My Big Fat Greek ... Holiday

Holidaying in Mykonos, Greece, I have probably eaten feta each and every day. Feta is a brined curd white cheese made from sheep's/sheep and goat's milk. It has a crumbly texture and salty taste.

My go-to light lunch was a Greek salad made with feta, cucumber, tomatoes, onions, olives and peppers, dressed with a little olive oil and some dried oregano.

For dinner, I might have a "pie" of feta and honey wrapped in a filo pastry and served with salad. 

I also enjoyed toasted feta, fried feta and baked feta which I had never tried before. Accompaniments may be honey & sesame seeds or tomatoes, peppers, oregano, chilli and paprika.

On the menu feta was also used on pizzas and as a stuffing in aubergines, tomatoes and peppers.

Meat-eating friends quite often ate souvlaki (meat on a skewer served in a pitta). In one restaurant I was pleased to see they had a vegetarian version. I ordered veggie souvlaki and chips, only to find the  main component of the souvlaki was chips! Haha! It was basically a chip and coleslaw butty! 


I had some good meals though. Delicious pastas and pizzas. Ranked top was JackieO' restaurant who did an east meets west aubergine dish, beautifully presented and absolutely delicious.





No comments:

Post a Comment