Total Pageviews

Sunday 10 February 2019

China in your hand

It feels like the time my 5 year old nephew came home from school and cried, in disbelief, "Do you know what lamb is?"

Well this time it's me crying in disbelief, "Do you know what bone china is?" I really have never put 2 and 2 together and worked out just what it was. 

In case you too are in need of educating, bone china is made using cow bone which is finely ground into bone ash. It is then mixed with other ingredients and fired twice. A high quality bone china will use anything between 30-45% bone. 

Now I say cow bone but an American artist will commission mementos of your loved ones by using their bone ash collected from the crematorium. 

Gobsmacked? Yes, me too. Luckily other products are available; fine china, porcelain, earthenware etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment