Total Pageviews

Sunday 20 January 2019

You've got to pick a packet or two

It's book club this week and this month's host has just texted in a panic, remembering that I was aiming to do Veganuary. "Don't worry" said I, "as long as there's something vegetarian." That's the thing, I don't really want to put anyone out. My friends are used to me being vegetarian and are happy to join in and/or provide for me but asking them to go out and buy dairy free milk, butter, cheese etc for my supper seems too much to ask. Years ago I used to offer to bring my own food to parties but now people seem happy to supply (and share) veggie food. Is vegan a step too far?

I recently read an article stating which everyday storecupboard items were actually vegan. These included:-

Generally - Dried pasta, Rice, Rice noodles, Pulses, Beans
Baked beans
Tomato ketchup, HP sauce, Branston pickle, Mustard, Tabasco, Marmite, Soy Sauce
Porridge, Weetabix
Peanut butter, Jam 
Jacobs crackers, Oreos, McVities Ginger nuts & Rich Tea
Doritos chilli heatwave (thank goodness!), Pringles original & BBQ

However, when I checked my own cupboards there were a lot of items which said "suitable for vegetarians" but didn't specify vegans. I would have thought many were okay for vegans but probably need to check out for animal derivatives in the ingredients list. If being vegan becomes the way forward we definitely need to call for better labelling.


This bad boy has just joined my condiments and he's labelled loud and proud. If only everything were as obvious ...

No comments:

Post a Comment