Total Pageviews

Sunday 15 April 2018

V"egg"ing out

Huevos rancheros (Spanish eggs) make the perfect brunch or supper served with toasted sourdough for dipping or soaking up. I tried making my own fairly recently 'tho' I can't remember whose recipe I followed. There was the fruitiness of tomatoes, a warmth from the onions and peppers, a spicy hit from the paprika and then the creamy soft egg with runny yolk. 


This week I went to Alexander's in Skipton, Yorkshire, and ordered the middle-eastern version Shakshuka. Presentation-wise it was so much better than mine although the toast was burnt and had to be redone.


This had a lot of onions and peppers with the tomatoes and was spicier than my home made version.

Either dish can be tweaked to suit. Cooked aubergine would work with the tomato mix as would a sprinkle of feta cheese on top. Eggs may even be scrambled. Finish off with either a sprinkle of salt and pepper, paprika, chilli flakes or herbs such as parsley or coriander.

No comments:

Post a Comment