Total Pageviews

Sunday 11 March 2018

Life of Pie

Mothers Day today and I have been treated to a delicious nut roast dinner. I felt I should have gone for the butternut squash and sweet potato pie to celebrate British Pie Week. It would've made a great article and photo for my blog but I really fancied the roast dinner.

What constitutes a pie? I love a cheddar and balsamic onion tart courtesy of Waitrose or Aldi and Higgedy pies are delicious but all of these are topless. I also like them the other way up; a nice veggie casserole or leeks in a cheesy sauce topped off with a puff pastry hat. The definition says a pie normally has a top and base made of pastry although some say they should have sides too. That's a lot of pastry. There are also pasties, patties, pastries, tarts, tartlets and turnovers. Some would argue to include lattice top pastry and even mashed potato as in shepherds pie. The British Pie Awards will not entertain these versions saying "we don't want tarts anywhere near the British Pie Awards." Well that's told me then!

Last summer I tried a spanakopita which is a Greek savoury filo pastry with a filling of spinach, feta, onions and eggs. Is this a pie? 


I actually don't care. It was delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment