Total Pageviews

Sunday 16 October 2016

Hungry in Hungary!

For the first time in nearly two years I missed writing last week's post. My weekend was spent with girlfriends in Budapest, Hungary, and there was just so much to do and see (including a 10k run) that time ran out.

We stayed in Pest where the robust buildings lined streets which had seen much turmoil over the years and crossed the Danube to Buda in order to climb the hill to the castle and view Pest from a great vantage point.

Autumn had arrived with cool sunny days and chilled clear nights. Time for some comfort food. I would say that my friends enjoyed quite a lot of meat and fish dishes and my vegetarian meals were certainly different. The presentation was always immaculate and the waiting staff friendly and informative. My highlights were pea soup and beetroot soup which were both attractive and appetising.

Warm bean salad


A raw vegetable curry with coconut broth eaten in the Jewish quarter 


I would have liked Goulash but wasn't able to find a vegetarian version. I do make it at home sometimes and this is my recipe:-

Onion, carrot, cabbage, courgette, celery, potato
Vegetable/olive oil
Tinned tomatoes
Cooked kidney beans
Tomato puree
Vegetable stock
Seasoning, paprika, mixed herbs

Gently cook the vegetables before adding tomatoes, beans, puree, stock and herbs.
Simmer for approx 20 mins and check seasoning.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream or plain yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment