Total Pageviews

Sunday 14 August 2016

Getting your oats!

I have never been the cool kid; never mind a trend setter, I couldn't even keep up with the trends. I was probably the last person ever to be wearing a Bay City Roller scarf, the last person blowing their whistle in a nightclub and the last person to get a smart phone!

Well here I am again; this time telling you about overnight oats!

It turns out the idea came from some Swiss doctor way back in the 1900s. I may be behind the times but really? Anyway, the point is, they are a nutritious, no-cook, make-ahead, healthy breakfast which can be tailored to your taste and personal preference.

The first time I made them I stuck to a Quaker Oats recipe which included:-
Half a cup of Quaker Oats
Half a cup of low fat milk
A spoonful of yogurt
A spoonful of peanut butter
A pinch of salt
A pinch of cinammon
Some chia seeds
Some chopped banana

Layer the ingredients in a jar, screw the top on and place overnight in the fridge. The next morning, unscrew the lid and voila breakfast is served. The oats will have absorbed some of the liquid so they soften and all the flavours will have infused.


The combinations are innumerable. You could use soya or almond milk, any flavour yogurt, honey or maple syrup sweeteners, any nuts, seeds or spices and any fruit you desire. The website is full of inspiration.

I love porridge in winter; it's so pudding-like and comforting. This is a great summer alternative and ensures you can still have your oats - and enjoy them!

No comments:

Post a Comment