Total Pageviews

Sunday 19 June 2016

Who's the Daddy?

Today is Father's Day; a day in which we celebrate fatherhood and male parenting. In our household it has been put on the back-burner due to exam revision and therefore our fathers have been given cards and gifts but are invited for dinner next Sunday. 

My husband and son did participate in a "lads and dads" competition at the Golf Club with my daughter and I joining them for Sunday Lunch. Whilst the Clubhouse has been given a thorough overhaul during the last 5 years and is now a lovely venue combining 125 years of tradition with a new modern edge, today felt like a step back in time for vegetarians!

I say Vegetarians but I believe I may have been the only one there today. We were asked several times "who is the vegetarian?" What I heard was "who is the awkward vegetarian?" Once I had admitted my disability (!) I was then given a choice:-

1) An omelette - surely we've moved on from the unimaginative 1970s?
2) A stir-fry - yes, just throw some prepared veggies around in a pan!
3) Mushroom Stroganoff - again a bit of a 1970s throwback.

As everyone else was having food from the carvery I went for the Stroganoff, expecting it to come with its usual accompaniment of boiled rice. No. A dish of button mushrooms in sauce arrived at the table. I was then asked to go to the carvery to get my roast potatoes to go with it. 

Vegetarian food has come a long way in the last few years with inspired and exciting dishes being created all over the world. Sadly, it would appear that inventive chefs have not yet arrived at old institutions like the Golf Club! Thank goodness it isn't Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment