Total Pageviews

Sunday 30 August 2015

Happy Herbs!

I'm really not sure if it's currently a trendy ingredient in cooking, but it would seem that borage has jumped onto my radar during the last few months.

My first encounter was probably 30 years ago when the Consultant I worked for invited myself and his junior doctor team over for Pimms and croquet; neither of which I had tasted nor played up until that point. Floating in the Pimms were fruits, cucumber and dainty little blue star shaped flowers, aka borage. 

For the last 20 years I have created a herb garden wherever we moved house and I have included borage along with rosemary, oregano, marjorum, thyme, sage and various mints. A herb garden is a great asset to a garden with the above being easy to grow, looking good pretty much throughout the year and bringing joy every time you step outside to snip a bit to add to your cooking or salads. Borage flowers are usually a piercing blue colour but this year I have added a white flowering one too. These can be added to salads and drinks or candied for cake decorations. The leaves can also be used in summer drinks to add a cool cucumber flavour.

Last week in Majorca I ate out in an Italian(!) restaurant and enjoyed borage stuffed ravioli with walnut pesto. The ravioli was tasty 'tho' personally I found the walnut pesto a little overpowering and sickly.

The flowers are a great source of nectar and so enjoyed by the bees who go on to make borage honey. Whilst away in the Cotswolds this year I enjoyed borage porridge which appeals to my sense of rhyming in the same way as wearing a Hackett jacket does! Imagine how pleased I was on finding that the Celts believed that borage brought courage! The Greeks thought it made people glad and merry - when added to wine(!) More generally it is regarded as comforting the heart, cheering melancholy, giving a sense of well-being and reviving one on a hot day (especially if served in a large glass of Pimms I suspect! Happy days!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment