Total Pageviews

Sunday 14 June 2015

Not so green as you're cabbage-looking!

Yesterday a door was opened and I stepped in to another world. No, it wasn't the back of the wardrobe and no, I didn't find Narnia. It was The Great Yorkshire Vegan Festival held in the fabulous Leeds Town Hall. I approached to the sound of live music and the aroma of cooking burgers outside but inside did take me by surprise.

In the main hall, as expected, were numerous (150 apparently) stalls selling freshly cooked foods and ingredients from around the world. There were also stands with hot chocolate powder and coffee, chocolate and cakes, cider, beer and coconut milk. What I hadn't expected were the stalls selling cosmetics and candles, pet food, homeopathic remedies, slogan t-shirts and jewellery. Many were asking for us to sign up for this and that; save this animal, save that fish, say no to fur, say no to animal cruelty etc etc. Why exactly I hadn't expected it I can't say. I suppose being vegetarian because I don't like to eat meat (it started as not liking the texture) had not made me sit up and question the bigger picture.

Upstairs at the venue was an exhibition on veganism. It was not particularly impressive; just a few screens starting with the evolution of dinosaurs and ending with celebrity vegan quotes and endorsements. I wanted to find out more so went to listen to one of the lectures. In this I learnt that owning a car, flying on holiday, eating honey and even almonds were all bad things. I shouldn't shop in supermarkets but ought to find good sources of vegan produce on the internet but then again, these would have to be delivered from some far-flung place ... and that's a bad thing too. Honestly, it sounds as if being vegan is truly difficult as much research must be done in to where and what is ethically sound, environmentally friendly and sustainably sourced!

Another "vegetarian" in the audience was trying to do her bit and lean towards being vegan and she was praised for just being there and trying to learn something. I took heart from that and have given myself a little pat on the back too. I can't see me ever becoming vegan but it has opened my eyes and made me think of some tiny steps I can make to become that little bit greener!

No comments:

Post a Comment