Total Pageviews

Sunday 8 February 2015

Ski Season!

The month of February makes me think of past skiing holidays. The weather crisp, the air clean and the views spectacular. For me the downside is having to get up a mountain, clinging to the safety bar of the ski lift as though it were a white knuckle ride. Friends may send text messages, pass sweets along the line or peruse piste maps whilst I sink lower into the folds of my buff and say a silent prayer, my gloved hands clutching a hand warmer and the bar. Then there's the dismount to contend with before descending the mountain again. There's little comfort in seeing the upturned faces of friends awaiting your arrival at various points down the piste for as soon as you catch up they set off and the chase resumes once more. At least we'll be stopping for lunch soon ...

Ah. Lunch in the Alps. The Plat de Jour normally consists of something wholesome, warm and ... meaty! The only non-meat option in France seems to be a chevre chaud (warm goats cheese), served either on a baguette or with a nice cold salad. Yum, but not every day. I would really love to indulge in a tartiflette, a hot baked dish of potatoes, onions, cheese and cream and, sadly, bacon. One year I decided to ring the changes and order a tuna baguette, reasoning that as a meat and fish eating child I had in fact liked tuna and even missed it a little when I first became vegetarian. Why oh why? Turns out it's fishy and, well, meaty!

So, apart from being cold, scared and hungry, skiing holidays were great. The gluhwein, chocolat chaud and crepes are fab and apres ski drinks make you forget what's been before and what you have to face tomorrow.

The year I chose to stay at home and let my family and friends fly off together was close to St Valentines Day. Lucky for me my husband brought back a chocolate ski and a new buff. Although I sulked about the ski-related gifts, the buff has been useful and the chocolate ski was scoffed nonetheless!

No comments:

Post a Comment